Development Permits

A development permit is required for any development in the M.D. of Smoky River No. 130. The only exceptions are as follows:

  • extensive agriculture
  • an accessory use or building within an agriculture district
  • a minor home-based business within an agriculture district
  • works of maintenance, repair or alteration provided such work does not change the use or intensity of the use of the building
  • construction or maintenance of a fence, wall or gate less than 1.8 metres
  • a public utility located on public property
  • developments undertaken by or for the municipality
  • signs
  • dugouts

Although permits may not be required, the development must still conform to the Land Use Bylaw (eg. setbacks, etc.). Contact the Development Officer to ensure conformity.

Application for Permit

Application is to be made to the Development Officer and accompanied by a pdf processing fee. Time limits are outlined on the pdf permit application form (446 KB). The Development Officer may require additional information to accompany the permit application. Possible requests can be found on the application form.

We encourage you to contact the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   prior to submitting an application to verify what type of additional information may be required.

New Home Warranty Required for All New Residential Building Permits

No new residential permits will be issued by the municipality until builders acquire a New Home Warranty. Starting February 1, 2014, every new home built in Alberta will require a New Home Warranty under Alberta's New Home Buyer Protection Act (NHBPA).
For more information, contact the Municipal Affairs Public Safety Division at 1-866-421-6929 or visit their website at

Please pdf click here for the new home buyer protection act & service providers

The Appeal Process
A decision on a development permit application may be appealed by serving either in person, or by registered mail, a written notice of appeal to the Secretary of the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board within (14) fourteen days of the date of the Notice of Decision. Use of the pdf Development Appeal Form outlined in the Land Use Bylaw is recommended. This form must be accompanied by an application fee of $500.00.

Within thirty (30) days of receiving written notice of an appeal, the Board shall hold a public hearing. Upon conclusion of a hearing, the Board shall deliberate and reach its decision in private. The Board shall give its decision upon an appeal in writing together with reasons for the decision within fifteen (15) days of the conclusion of the hearing.

Job Opportunities

pdf Summer Temporary Employment Program (105 KB)

Interested persons should contact

M.D. of Smoky River No. 130
Box 210
Falher, Alberta
T0H 1M0

Phone: (780) 837-2221
Fax: (780) 837-2453
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

pdf Employment Application



 Available Grants

pdf Recreation Capital Funding Program (79 KB)

pdf Cemeteries Grant Funding (45 KB)

pdf Wireless Support Structure Grant Funding Program (78 KB)